I started this course unable to predict exactly where this class would lead me. I did not know how much I would be impacted by the class’s readings and discussions. When class began for my first blog I remember doing research about my Native American background and explained the importance of being ethnically educated. I also stated that I was raised in a predominately diverse community, therefore, rarely was I affected by the status quo of racism. Meaning I was not just raised with one race around me I was in a diverse environment. However, after taking this course I have come to the realization that one not only needs to have a diverse background as far as race but as well as culture.
I read many excerpts from Takaki that explained that discrimination and prejudices are not only racially but are culturally as well. For example, the Irish were oppressed not because they were white like the Englishmen but because they were Irish and were considered to have a “savage lifestyle”.
Being aware of different cultures and different traditions is the key to understanding a person’s motivations and behaviors. I was not raised in a culturally diverse environment and most modern Americans aren’t, because here in America there is a traditional way to behave and traditional values to have. So if and when one deviates to far from the norm they are exiled or alienate. Muslims for example, don’t follow the traditional American lifestyle and are constantly put under the microscope for their beliefs, values, and traditions.
We as people always like to simplify things and categorize things which ultimately take the complexity, intrigue, and beauty from situations. Through experiences people are able to relate to things better, yet when one has never experienced a different way of life they are rarely able to understand or relate to the situation for that matter. However, by having an open my and a love for knowledge one can achieve a level of understanding which essentially leads to respect.
I’m very grateful that I was allowed to take such a relevant and educational course with a professor that is pretty profound.
No comments:
Post a Comment